You know winter is almost upon us when the list of things to do in the garden gets shorter and shorter and shorter…
- Pot some paperwhites or hyacinths in gravel with half the bulb exposed. Refrigerate for about ten weeks than place in a sunny spot.
- Reduce watering and fertilizing of houseplants.
- Dig a hole and store the soil indoors if you are planning to have a “living” Cristmas tree. After the holiday plant the tree, wrap with burlap, mulch and water.
- Make detailed notes about your gardens while you can still remember what worked and what didn’t.
- Clean and repair garden tools before storing. (I like to give rakes and shovels a good scrub with soap, water & a piece of steel wool, then dry with an old towel and coat the metal surfaces with a bit of mineral oil to keep them rust free.)