Why is this Gardener’s To Do List so late?
Reason Number One
That beautiful snippit of summer-like weather we received earlier this spring was just a tease - it has been cold and rainy! Not very spring-like at all. Therefore, as much as spring has been delayed, so too has this Monthly To Do List.
Reason Number Two
One of the items originally included on this month’s To Do List was to spray birch trees with Cygon. As one of the goals of this site is is to promote ‘green’ practices, Cathy baulked at including such a controversial method of pest control. After much research and with no absolutely proven alternative method found, it was decided that we would remove that item from this month’s list. We’d love to hear from anyone who has a good suggestion for a more environmentally-friendly approach to the traditional systemic insecticide .
Without further adieu, here is May’s (better late than never) Gardener’s To Do List:
- plant trees and shrubs
- aerate lawn, top seed or overseed
- feed roses May 15
- fertilize perennials May 30
- fertilize strawberries May 1 and 30 (4-8-12) and fruit trees (10-10-10)
- divide/replant perennials; stick in willow or dogwood clippings or wire frames for supports
- harden off seedlings started indoors by gradually exposing to sun, wind and cold
- set out seedlings as weather improves, but add protection from late frosts
- plant summer bulbs eg. dahlias, gladiolas, lilies
- plant early annuals, flowers and vegetables into the garden eg. lettuce, radish, peas, allysum, sweetpeas
- make lists for container plants